De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde emerged victorious in an unprecedented and remarkable sweep that earned them the distinguished title of “School of the Year” of the 9th Philippine Student Quill Awards. Streamed live on Thursday, Aug. 18, via KTX.ph, the 19th Philippine Quill Awards celebrated the work and achievements of communication practitioners nationwide.
This year’s Quill Awards theme, “Move: Stronger Together,” encouraged communicators to pave the way towards a bright future into the new normal. In line with this, the IABC Philippines Committee emphasized the importance of effective communication at the beginning of the program, stating, “[...] Truth is at the forefront of what we do, especially in this age of disinformation, misinformation, and malinformation.”
“As effective communicators, we make sure that all sides are covered. No biases, no preferences. Trust is the foundation of what we do and we intend to keep it that way by maintaining truth, objectivity, and fairness in communication at all times,” the committee stressed.
The next part of the program presented the winners of the Merit Award and Excellence Award. The Benildean Press Corps (BPC), the College’s official student-journalists’ organization, and Ad Astra, the sole organization tasked to create Benilde’s official yearbook, contributed the most to the College’s record-breaking 37 awards.
The following are Benilde’s winning entries:
- #BPCTheChallenge Recruitment Campaign - Beatrice Quirante
- EMBARK Vol. 6 - Marge Robang
- Benilde Pride 2021 - Paulette Constantino
- Mabayang Liston: HIV Awareness Webinar - Daniella Gaytano
- Mamulat at Kumilos - Creesian Skeen C. Villaruel
- COVIDCOMMS 2021: Karilyon Visual Poetry - Anne Valmeo
- Independence Day 2021 - Anne Valmeo
- Kwentong Pang-Upuan: Bakas - Kurt Lucas
- World Press Freedom Day 2021 Video - Anne Valmeo
- You're Finally Here: An Open Letter To Graduates - Danize Marie Lukban
- IntoStory - Jella Gonzaga
- Merry Monday - Paubaya - Bernice Arcangel
- On the Fifth - Jella Gonzaga
- Our Stories - Danize Marie Lukban
- StoryLines - Francis Gatuslao
- Taft Times - Monique Veneracion
- Unravel - Chenelle Navidad
- Backstage Vol. 6 - Jofamil V. Sevilleno
- Dekunstrukt: Shifted - Niña Cudal
- EMBARK Vol. 6 - Franco Babasa
- Freedom's Semantic Change: A Cultural Reset - Grant Franzuela
- Shades of Gray: Epilogue - Jella Gonzaga
- The Benildean: Confined - Beatrice Quirante
- The Benildean: Restored - Beatrice Quirante
- COVIDCOMMS 2021: At the forefront: Different faces, innumerable sacrifices - Jella Gonzaga
- Loud and proud: I am part of the LGBTQIA+ Pride - Ralph Regis
- COVIDCOMMS 2021: Kinabukasan - Hannah Barredo
- #TakeItFromUs: At Home Edition - Darren Harina
- Debunked - Dylan Kirsten Melencion
- Dekunstrukt: Relive - Niña Cudal
- Shades of Gray: Four Corners - Jella Gonzaga
- The Benildean: Translate - Chenelle Navidad
- A conversation with LGBTQIA+ filmmakers on queer representation - Ralph Regis
- Araw ng mga Karapatang Pantao: Ang mga mata ng hustisya - Stefani Tacugue
- COVIDCOMMS 2021: Mom's Space Suit - Isabel Adolor
- COVIDCOMMS 2021: On the precipice of doom: Philippine art holds its ground - Casey Delvo
- Kwentong Pang-Upuan: Bakas - Emmanuel Anthony Rosana
On the other hand, “COVIDCOMMS 2021: Mom’s Space Suit” was given a Top Award under the COVIDCOMMS 2021 category. BPC entries “Dekunstrukt: Relive,” “Debunked,” and “COVIDCOMMS 2021: On the precipice of doom: Philippine art holds its ground” were also nominated for Top Awards in under the Communication Skills and COVIDCOMMS 2021 categories, respectively.
With 11 Excellence Awards under its belt, DLS-CSB’s fate was secured as the “School of the Year,” ending fellow competitor University of Santo Tomas’ seven-year winning streak as the top contender for the said award.
Far Eastern University nabbed 2nd place, besting UST who settled for 3rd place. Lastly, UST Angelicum College secured 4th place, while Holy Angel University placed 5th.
Spearheaded by IABC Philippines, the Philippine Quill Awards is an annual awards program that honors business communication practitioners nationwide for their exemplary research, programs, and creative work.