Aiming to promote and improve science and astronomy awareness in the country, the University of the Philippines Astronomical Society (UP AstroSoc) will hold its annual National Astronomy Week (NAW) celebration from Feb. 21 to March 5 through games, shows, and a workshop on astronomy and space education.
With the theme “Ma(g)laya(g) Tayo sa Mga Tala,” this year’s NAW celebration aims to broaden students, educators’, and astronomy-enthusiasts’ awareness, knowledge, and understanding of astronomy through activities that stimulate creativity and foster interest towards science and space.
The following activities are open to the public:
- Feb. 1 to Feb. 25: Star Trails: An Astrophotography Contest is an online competition for amateur and professional astronomy photographers alike to showcase their talent in astrophotography or photography involving astronomical objects and events. Participants can submit their entries here until Feb. 25. The top three winners will each receive ₱2,000 worth of prizes.
- Feb. 21 to March 4: Star Trails: Artists’ Showcase will feature four of the best astronomy-themed artworks on UP AstroSoc’s social media pages. All artists nationwide can participate by publicly posting their artworks on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter with the hashtag #StarTrails2022. Participants can post their poems, illustrations, photographs, etc. starting Feb. 21.
- Feb. 28 to March 4: Orionids: Online Astronomical Trivia Quiz Game is an online trivia to be conducted on UP AstroSoc’s official Facebook Page to test the public’s knowledge on astronomy while providing additional information about the cosmos.
Meanwhile, the events below will cater only bonafide high school students and teachers:
- Feb. 26 (Saturday): Parallax: Teacher’s Webinar Workshop is a free webinar for high school educators composed of lectures on astronomical concepts, specifically tackling space and sustainability. The event will also feature activities that aim to develop teachers’ skills and strategies in teaching astronomy with the help of science professionals.
- March 5 (Saturday): Big Bang: Astronomy Quiz Show is a single-day quiz bee for secondary level students nationwide that aims to promote the significance of space education. The event will be held via Zoom. Each school can register up to three teams of three students until March 2 here. The winning team will receive certificates and a roving trophy while the first and second runner-ups will get plaques and certificates of recognition.
National Astronomy Week is an annual event spearheaded by the UP Astronomical Society to promote science and astronomy education in the Philippines, in accordance with Proclamation No. 863, s. 1992.